Everton manager Rafael Benitez has revealed he was NOT forced by Farhad Moshiri to sign Anwar El-Ghazi, who was hired from Aston Villa.
- Everton secured their third addition, capturing Anwar El-Ghazi from Aston Villa
- Rafael Benitez insists the move will provide cover for the injured Alex Iwobi
- The 26-year-old could make his debut in the game against Norwich on Saturday
Rafael Benitez insists Anwar El-Ghazi’s surprise signing was not forced on him by Farhad Moshiri and insists the loan will benefit Everton.
Everton’s transfer policy under the Iranian billionaire was chaotic and El-Ghazi didn’t even feature in Benitez’s recruitment plans for this window until his name was mentioned when Aston Villa opened negotiations for Lucas Digne.
Benitez met Moshiri on Thursday at the club’s Finch Farm training base for lunch, during which time they discussed future goals and the direction of a season in which Everton struggled desperately to form. It is imperative that they beat Norwich today.
Everton boss Rafael Benitez says he was not forced to replace winger Anwar El-Ghazi . to sign
The 26-year-old was loaned to the Blues of Aston Villa until the end of the season
El Ghazi, who will wear the number 34 shirt at Goodison Park, will face the injured Alex Iwobi. cover
“To be honest, with the Covid situation, with injuries and also (Alex) Iwobi almost a month away, it was an opportunity,” Benitez said. “If there’s a player on loan, with quality, who wants to come and prove himself, then maybe it’s a win-win situation. That was the idea.
“I spoke to the player to make sure he would be happy to come, and he has a desire to do well for us, and he was quite positive. In the end hopefully he can improve our squad. He has his commitment and wanted to come in. That was the most important part of the negotiation for me.”
Everton fans remain ambivalent towards Benitez at best. The more vocal players want Moshiri to make a change after a run in which they have racked up just six points from the last 36. However, all indications are that the club’s major shareholder is keeping the former Liverpool boss.
“I won’t say it was a meeting,” Benitez said. “Mr Moshiri and I were having lunch together, talking about what we did in the transfer window, what we would like to do, if it is possible, what we would like to do in the future, the stadium, so many things about the future from the club.
‘It was quite positive. Normally he is quite positive. Normally every owner talks to the manager and it was a nice chat. The most important thing for us, for everyone as a manager, is to win games and do well.”
Toffees Iranian owner Farhad Moshiri held positive talks with Benitez earlier this week
Manager Benitez is an unpopular figure among Everton fans who want him to leave the club
Benitez, confident Dominic Calvert-Lewin will be close to full fitness after a season that has been decimated by injuries, added: “In terms of what we’ve done, they can see a lot of things that we can improve on for the present and for the future. future.
“At the same time, we want to win and get chances. They realize, he knows we’ve injured important players and he knows that these players are coming back and they’re going to need some time. He is quite positive that if we do well now, our future looks bright.’