Sports

Michael Masi ‘does TOO MUCH damage’ to F1, claims ex-driver Johnny Herbert

Michael Masi ‘has done TOO MUCH damage’ to F1 and confidence in him has ‘completely evaporated’, claims ex-driver Johnny Herbert… as Mercedes plans to demand the race director be fired TODAY – or Lewis Hamilton would be able to stop











Michael Masi cannot continue as Formula 1 race director because he has “inflicted a lot of damage” and “completely evaporated confidence” in his judgment, says former driver Johnny Herbert.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff will sit down with Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the sport’s new ruler, on Friday to discuss last season’s ridiculous conclusion in a meeting that will go a long way toward Lewis Hamilton’s future.

Wolff wants Masi, whose decision-making in Abu Dhabi cost Hamilton a record eighth world title, to be removed from his role and Herbert thinks there is no turning back for the 42-year-old.

“I think he has done too much damage to Formula 1 and I think because of the position he is in, we have to be confident,” said Herbert. Sky F1.

“I think that trust has completely evaporated.”

Mercedes demands Michael Masi be fired over Abu Dhabi car overlap talk

Mercedes demands Michael Masi be fired over Abu Dhabi car overlap talk

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff will meet with F1's new leader Michael Masi on Friday.  to discuss

Mohammed Ben Sulayem's is F1's new leader and must first resolve the Abu Dhabi controversy

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff (left) will speak with new F1 ruler Mohammed Ben Sulayem (right) on Friday to discuss last season’s ridiculous conclusion – with Masi’s future on the agenda

Since losing the title to Red Bull rival Max Verstappen on the last lap, Hamilton, 37, has refused to commit to the remainder of his two-year contract with Mercedes, which is worth around £70million.

Mercedes has previously withdrawn their legal action against the ruling FIA, believing they had no chance of winning an appeal, as it would require the FIA ​​to overthrow their own stewards with further major damage to the sport.

But Mercedes, the 2021 Constructors’ Champion, demanded the thorough investigation currently underway to restore F1’s integrity after the Abu Dhabi debacle.

sports post exclusively reported on Wednesday that sources indicate Masi’s resignation is a key requirement for Mercedes, although they have denied his departure is in return for Hamilton who remains.

Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton will likely continue, but the outcome of this encounter is crucial

Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton will likely continue, but the outcome of this encounter is crucial

A source told sports post“The Abu Dhabi issue is first on the agenda of the new president. He wants to come up with a response.

“The deadline is the World Motor Sport Council meeting on February 3, but maybe there will be news before then, this is so urgent.”

Friday’s meeting is believed to be key in determining Hamilton’s future, but hopes of a quick resolution to the investigation appear dim.

Hamilton will have to wait until March 18 – just two days before the start of the new season in Bahrain – to hear the outcome of how he lost the world title in Abu Dhabi.

The FIA ​​said: “Following the decision of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 15 December 2021, the FIA ​​has started the detailed analysis of the events of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“The FIA ​​president has started consultations with all F1 teams on various issues, including this one.

Former race car driver Johnny Herbert (right) feels there is no more confidence in Masi in his position

Former race car driver Johnny Herbert (right) feels there is no more confidence in Masi in his position

Max Verstappen (right) overtook Hamilton on last lap after controversial safety car call

Max Verstappen (right) overtook Hamilton on last lap after controversial safety car call

‘On January 19, an agenda item of the Sporting Advisory Committee will be devoted to the use of the safety car.

“The next stage will be a shared discussion with all F1 drivers.

“The result of the detailed analysis will be presented to the F1 committee and the final decision will be announced at the World Motor Council in Bahrain on March 18.”

Herbert’s fellow Sky F1 pundit Martin Brundle believes dumping Masi will not ‘solve’ the problem as he pushes for more reforms.

Brundle said: “This is way too big a job for one person to do in a 23-race season, it will only grow.

“Masi, if he stays, he’ll need a lot of support around him and I suspect they’re looking at that at the moment.”

Advertisement

.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

GET MORE DOFOLLOW LINK